CfUT Summer Leadership Development Program
Before the six-week summer school program begins, selected leaders meet during the spring semester to engage in a book study on the qualities of a leader and actively engage in the following seminars and project work:
- Vision casting to create vision carriers
- Inspiring a staff culture founded on respect, trust, and open communication
- Building a great student culture to forge strong character that lasts
- Moving teachers from good to great through effective coaching
- Conducting data analysis to set goals and track progress
- Providing critical feedback on lesson planning that moves and improves teaching
- Logistics of leadership: time management & organization
- Designing and presenting effective professional development
Support of Candidates
During summer school, the summer school leadership team meets weekly to discuss best practices, share ideas and resources, and problem solve. The leadership team is also paired up to conduct peer-to-peer observations at another summer school site at least twice during the summer school term.
CfUT Selection Process
The initial application/screening process is conducted through CfUT to find individuals that would be a good fit and strong additions to the program and the summer school leadership staff.
- Candidates must be nominated by a CfUT school leader, teacher, coach, or partner.
- Candidates are interviewed by a CfUT team member using questions designed to assess their alignment with the selection criteria.
- Candidates are observed in their current role for evidence of the selection criteria by a CfUT team member.
Leadership Training Dates
Tuesdays March through Mid-June from 5-8pm
Summer School Dates
Mid-June to End of July 7:00 AM- 5:00 PM
- Wednesdays: Early Dismissal @1:00 PM; Leader Meeting from 2:00-3:00 PM; Whole Staff PD from 3:00-5:30 PM
Sample Daily Schedule for Summer School
- 7:45 Breakfast
- 8:00 Student Assembly
- 8:30 – 12:00 Academic Engagement: Literacy and Math
- 12:00-12:30 Lunch
- 12:30 – 2:00 Enrichment Activities
- 2:00-5:00 Feedback and coaching meetings
“Participating in the CfUT and Character Formation Project lessons, devotions, and book talks helped me reflect and grow in the specific virtues of self-sacrifice, trust, empathy, persistence, and stewardship. This combined with the summer school leadership experience resulted in the opportunity for me to work intentionally to improve on these virtues.“
“The summer school program has helped enhance a number of character traits and confirmed the importance of having great character to be a great leader.“